Friday, May 04, 2018

Why Am I Not Losing Weight?

I began this Keto journey on March 19 and dropped six pounds in the first week. That was, of course, all water weight and the fact that I was avoiding all major carbs and sugar. The best part of this was I got below 190 lbs, something I had been struggling to do for many months (without changing my diet or anything- HA!).

Since then I my weight loss has slowed way down and I have felt a little bit discouraged. Though I see the numbers slowly going down on the scale in my mind I'm not losing weight so I wanted to write it out so I can see the numbers

Week 1- 6.2 lbs
Week 2- 2.2 lbs
Week 3- 0.8 lbs
Week 4- 1.2 lbs
Week 5- 0.4 lbs
Week 6- 1.6 lbs

Total to Date- 12.4 lbs

When I look at this list I see two things that are encouraging to me.
First, every week there is a deficit, even when it's only half a pound I am consistently going down. Second, twelve and half pounds is a big deal. At least it is to me.

I have 3 lbs to my next goal. I want to accomplish this by May 12th. I can do it. I discovered yesterday that an electrolyte additive that I was adding to my water to help replenish my electrolytes contains maltodextrin- which is known to cause a rise in blood sugar which was probably knocking me out of keto. So, back to plain water for me. Obviously, this way of eating (WOE) agrees with me since I'm losing weight, but I'm going to experiment to see if dropping the electrolyte powder will help boost my losing power.

I'll report back soon. 

No comments: