Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Call her Big Sister

Even though we found out the day before Thanksgiving Nickel and I opted not to tell Peanut or the rest of the family until Christmas. Let me tell you, for someone as excited as I was (am) that was not an easy thing to do.

On December 22, the three of us gathered around the Christmas tree to open presents. We always do our family Christmas early because we spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with our other family and this way Peanut stops harrassing us about the presents and gives her something to do for the rest of the day while I bake or clean or like this year, lay on the couch exhausted. Anywho, one by one she chose a present and unwrapped them. She enjoyed the games she got. Then she opened the present that contained one white shirt with just enough writing. "What does it say?" I asked her. "I'm going to be the Big Sister."

She looked at me as if to say, 'Yeah, so what's the big deal, mom?'

"What do you think that means?"

"I dunno."

"How does one become a big sister?"

"I dunno."

"Do mommy and daddy have to have a baby in order for you to become a big sister."

"Yeah." Still the 'what's the big deal, mom' look.

"Mommy's going to have a baby."

"You are?"

"Mmmhmm... that means, you're going to be a big sister."

"I'm going to be a big sister?"

"Yep."

There were lots of squeels and claps, I won't attempt to describe them for you. She of course wore her new shirt that day even though I had intended for her to wear it on Christmas Eve. Luckily, my momma taught me how to do laundry.

Throughout the day Peanut asked her to help practice being a Big Sister. She had lots of questions too, "Can I hold the baby?" Not right now, you have to wait until it's born. "When will it be born?" Sometime late July or early August, but Mommy's hoping for July. "Is it a boy or a girl?" We don't know yet. "When will you know?" Hopefully sometime around the end of February. "How did the baby get in your tummy?" God put it there. "How?" Oh look! Here's a present you didn't open.

A week and a half later she's still excited. She doesn't just randomly scream "I'm going to be a big sister!", but she's excited. Every few days or so she asks how big the baby is. She was amazed when it went from being the size of a grape to a lime.

Hope ya'll don't mind a bunch of "baby" posts for... oh, I don't know, ever.

5 comments:

Suzy-Q said...

I love baby posts.

I also think you should post belly pictures like Seeker's daughter did. :o)

I am so excited for you!!

I know you have already begun throwing around some names.....let's hear 'em...

Whistle Britches said...

way to go LESLEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now AJ will be squealing about babies alllllllll the time....

R said...

That's GREAT! I knew you were really struggling in the past with the idea of not having another baby and it is wonderful that you are going to!!! Congratulations.

I tagged you for a meme, so check my blog out girly.

Jenn said...

OHHHH, Leslee!!! A new baby!! I'm so happy for you and your family. ~sending virtual belly rubs~

seethroughfaith said...

Congratulations

from the size of a grape to a lime - you made me laugh so much!!

blessings :)