Friday, April 20, 2018

One Month Down

I have not been on the Keto Diet for one month and I wanted to jot down my thoughts on the process so far.

Weight Loss: In the first 3 weeks I dropped 10 pounds! This was supper encouraging because see progress at the onset of any diet helped me to continue on this path to create new habits to make life-long changes. During this time I have given up some of my favorite foods and have adapted others.

Root Beer and other sodas- My coworkers and I often go out to eat at lunch. While I used to order water about half the time I have consistently ordered water every time we've gone out. I thought this would be hard, especially at Mexican restaurants but it really hasn't been an issue. I did try Zevia Ginger Root Beer but hated the taste as it was nothing like my A&W. That's ok, one less temptation to drink my calories.

Ice Cream- I love ice cream but even before my diet I could go weeks without any. I created a Keto Chocolate Ice Cream by taking elements of other recipes to match what I had on hand. It was delicious. It made enough for my family of 4 to have a little and everyone thought it was good. I'm not sure how well it keeps. Maybe next time I'll be able to find out.

Other recipes that I have adapted include Salmon Patties (made with Almond flour now), fajitas (no tortillas), salad (no ranch). There have been a few recipes that I've tried and thrown out. There have been a few that we've eaten and loved. It's a process and we're getting on just fine.

Water Intake: As I mentioned before drinking water wasn't a hardship, but drinking enough water has been. Because in the initial stages the body is breaking down fat and expelling stored water it's easy to lose electrolytes. I have been using Propel water beverage mix because it contains electrolytes and necessary vitamins and minerals. Plus, the grape flavor (my favorite) tricks my mind into thinking I'm having Kool-Aid or something. While I am able to get between 50-65 oz of water I have noticed the skin on my hands and arms (and probably elsewhere too) have been overly dry requiring additional applications of lotion throughout the day. I think I need to try to increase my water consumption to at least 80-95 oz.

More updates to come.

No comments: