Saturday, November 09, 2013

Three Magic Words

The Boy Who Doesn't Talk (much) has made leaps and bounds in his vocabulary over the last two years. When he was about three and a half he started seeing one of my best friends an hour a week for speech therapy. That helped, she not only helped him but she helped me learn ways to help him One day she asked if I would be interested in having him tested to possibly getting him into the school system early where he would get more help. This sounded like a great idea to me so we proceeded. With just a few weeks left of school The Boy Who Doesn't Talk (much) started going to school half a day Monday through Thursday.

He loved it.

When he turned four and started Pre-K he had the same teacher and went half a day Monday through Friday. More progress was made. He started calling me "Ma" and Nickel is "Da". To him, the word "no" comes out "nay".  I tease that he's obviously Scottish and we should get him a kilt.

Kindergarten brought us to full days all week but he has mostly the same kids in his class this year as last year. This helps. So far this year we've seen him pretend to talk on the phone to some of his classmates as well as an abundance of new words. We still don't understand all of what he says, it's sort of like talking to a two year old at this point. But we're getting there. Patience is a skill I am perfecting.

His whole life I have waited to hear those three magic words from him. The best three words there are. I tell him over and over, "I love you." I whisper it in his ear when he's sound asleep. I tell him when we're playing on the floor. I tell him when we're standing in the check out line at the store.

He has never said it back. I don't doubt that he loves me. Somethings in life you just know. But still, it would be nice to hear those words

Today, I needed to leave the house to work on some homework. I find it much less distracting if I hide in a corner of the library. So I was digging in my closet for my backpack (that I've had since my first semester of college in 1997 thank-you-very-much) when he came up behind me.

"Hey Ma."

"Hey Baby, what's up?" I asked without turning around.

"Iloveyou" He garbled.

"What was that?" He repeated himself twice before I realized exactly what he was saying. My son, the boy of very few words told me loves me. He ran off to play giggling over the whole interaction.

I held it together while I packed my bag but as soon as I got in the car the tears started to fall. Two hours later they still threaten to overwhelm me.

He told me he loves me. Those three magic words from the keeper of my heart.

We take words for granted. But when someone is stingy with their words you should always stop and listen. And appreciate. And love.

4 comments:

Tina said...

My love language is Words of Affirmation so I know exactly how important and life-giving words are. I'm so happy for you! It's only the beginning!!

Tina said...

My love language is Words of Affirmation so I know exactly how important and life-giving words are. I'm so happy for you! It's only the beginning!!

wonderactivist said...

So true.

wonderactivist said...

How beautiful