Wednesday, March 09, 2011

A Day Without Facebook

Ah Facebook. A place where you can be "friends" with people you haven't spoken to since you graduated from High School (no matter how long ago that was) or never met in your real life. A place where you can "like" what's going on in your "friend"'s lives. A place where millions of people waste hours of time playing games like Farmville and Frontierville. Frontierville was my game and I know plenty of people that play both and then some others.

My phone has this handy little button that if I press it, takes me straight to my Facebook home page and I can see who likes what, who posted where, and what other people are saying. Since my phone is by my bed at night often when I woke up at 3 and 4 am I would pop online from the comfort of my pillows and see what had happened since I fell asleep. Then I would crawl out of bed and come to my computer and play Frontierville for an hour or two depending on what kind of missions I was trying to accomplish. I would check it again before going to work. At work I would check Facebook on my breaks and comment and like what was going on with my friends. At lunch, if I wasn't reading a book I'd usually be on Facebook. Then again while supper was cooking. When things get real slow at night when I do work I'd find myself wanting to get on Facebook "real quick" and struggling with not actually doing it. Then as soon as I'd get home I'd get on Facebook. Are you seeing a pattern here?

Yeah. Me too.

Obviously, I need a change.

Twenty-four hours ago, more or less, I posted a little farewell. I checked it once about 10 minutes after posting but that was the last time. I removed the little easy button on my phone so that Facebook is no longer just a click away. I removed the Favorites button on my Internet tool bar for the same reason. Sure I can still go to Facebook on my computer and my phone, but not without some thought.

Twenty-four hours without Facebook and I haven't caved yet.

So what did I do today, you might be wondering. Well, this morning when I got out of the shower I found an awake Baby Butter playing with three cars and a piece of his Thomas the Train railroad track so we crashed his cars for a good 10 minutes. Then he brought me his bucket of Little People and we played with them. I started another book later in the day. While on my dinner break I talked to Peanut on the phone while waiting for my food and then in my work's break room I worked on a Sudoku puzzle. Tonight when I got home from work after sure the children were tucked into bed and making some tea Nickel and I talked for an hour about. A whole hour! Just him and me talking. Mostly about our jobs and the kids, married people stuff. It was amazing. Not that we don't ever talk. We just don't get many hour long uninterrupted conversations. How many of those have I missed because I was playing on Facebook?

I didn't miss Facebook. Not like I thought I would. I've gone a day or two without it before, especially when I go to the land of dial-up, aka my parent's, where getting on Facebook take more patience than I usually have so a day without hasn't bothered me. And all that time with my family that I would've probably spent on Facebook...

Joel 2:12-14 Message
12 But there's also this, it's not too late- God's personal Message! "Come back to me and really mean it! Come fasting and weeping, sorry for your sins!"

13-14Change your life, not just your clothes. Come back to God, your God. And here's why: God is kind and merciful. He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot, this most patient God, extravagant in love, always ready to cancel catastrophe. Who knows? Maybe he'll do it now,  maybe he'll turn around and show pity. Maybe, when all's said and done, there'll be blessings full and robust for your God!








Whiskey Sour (A Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mystery)
The book I started today.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will leave a comment about this post on Facebook. ;oD
-Mel L