Sunday, January 29, 2012

12 days and counting

In 12 days....well really, in 300 hours....or in 18015 minutes I will begin celebrating my birthday.  My birthday has always been my favorite holiday of the year. It is closely followed by my very least favorite holiday, and that's Valentine's Day. But if you want to read about my hatred of V-Day you'll have to read about it here because that's not what this post is about.

No, this about about my birthday. The happiest day of the year. Well, at least is for me. But this year I want to share the happiness with my friends. With total strangers. With you.

How? Well, if you've been within talking distance or on this blog you've probably heard me talking about my birthday wish. That's to do 33 Acts of Kindness for my 33rd birthday. I don't mind people knowing how old I am, mostly because they usually don't believe I'm that old. Thank you mother for giving me life and great skin!!

So today I had lunch again with my friend Eric. We were joined today my our mutual friend Lyndsay who kept me entertained with her phone saying "Expecto patronum" every time she got a text message (it's a Harry Potter thing if you don't know already).  Our details are all set with the day broken down into two hour blocks of time and we're ready to go. More or less. The easy part is done. The work has yet to begin.

On February 10th I will be making one batch of muffins and three batches of cookies. There is some shopping to be done as we will be mailing out a care package to one of our brave soldiers overseas and valentines to some pretty neat kids. I need to gather up shoes we've outgrown or just don't wear for Soles for Souls, and clothes for Hope Outreach. And I also need to prepare about 100 valentines to be given out to random kids at the skating rink.

But we can do this.

And wouldn't it be crazy if we did MORE than 33 acts of kindness in one day? Is it possible? What would happen if you spent an entire day doing one act of kindness after another?

The possibilities are unimaginable.

No comments: