Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Creativity

Do you ever feel like the creativity is being sucked out of you by a giant vacuum?

Last week a well of creativity sprung forth into life. I was excited. I was happy to dream big, imagine the possibilities, to try new things. I wanted to write again. I wanted to draw, take photographs, be a part of nature.  That creativity spilled over into my work. I made little signs.

And I believe that was where I went wrong.

Some places, you see, frown on creativity. And though my creativity wasn't belittled or mocked it wasn't appreciated either. I can recognize patronizing smiles from a mile away. So I stopped. I put away my creativity and the well that had so freshly sprung was once again dried up.

Now I look at this white box and I've got nothing. Nothing to say. Nothing going on worth writing about.

Nothing.

I'm empty. I wish I could call in sick today and just head out of town by myself for the afternoon, but that isn't a possibilty so instead I'll try to take a trip in my mind. Where do you go to get away from the pressures of life? Where do you find your creativity?


No comments: