Monday, October 30, 2006

A Crazy Idea?

I'm semi-famous for coming up with Crazy Ideas. When I say to Nickel, "I've got an idea" he looks around for something to hold on to because he knows I'm going to be a whirlwind of activity until it plays out. Sometimes my idea die as soon as they are spoken, other times they take on a life of their own.

My latest, crazy idea is about Thanksgiving. It's coming up as quick as can be you know. Well, a few days ago Nickel suggested we invite my folks up for Turkey Day then we added his mom and uncle to the guest list but now... Now I have this crazy idea of inviting all my aunts, uncles, and cousins. When my grandmother was alive we met at her one bedroom house (as many as 30 but usually closer to 20) and we loved it. We learned to dress in layers because that many people in one house with the oven going tends to get warm. But I loved it. Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve were my favorite times of the year. Since 1997 we haven't been together for a holiday and every year I find myself more and more sad. But this year...But this year I have this crazy idea of inviting my whole family, which is closer to 40 now. But you can't tell Nickel, ok? I haven't had a chance to mention it to him. Oh, he'll be fine with the idea. I might leave out the number of people I'm inviting because he doesn't realy like crowds but I know that many people won't show up. But it'd be really cool if they did.

Well, I'm off to get ready for work. I must stay focused here. If I plan to do anything I better do my work so I can plan, right? Oh, if you're religious please pray for me. If you're not, just think happy thoughts for me, ok? Thanks.

I'll keep you updated if there's anything to post.

3 comments:

HeyJules said...

I say GO FOR IT! and I'd be happy to pray AND think happy thoughts.

I've always been under the assumption that the more the merrier because then you only have to talk to each person for a short period of time and nobody has the time to get really obnoxious!

Cindy said...

That's my kind of holiday. We used to all gather in grandma's house every holiday and there were plenty of cousins. We just went outside or into the bedrooms to play while the adults talked and cooked.

Now the gatherings are at my house. We're getting close to having 20 people when we're all together...and that's just the immediate family.

There may be times of stress but the richness of the moment should win out.

Suzy-Q said...

We are tossing around the idea of a holiday dinner here this year. I think it sounds fun!