Monday, August 01, 2005

When I grow up...

What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you plan on actually growing up? Me neither. I remember wanting to be a policewoman, a firewoman, a school teacher... that was until I realized I'd be with a bunch of children all day long and I decided maybe that wasn't the life for me. I never really pictured myself sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day dealing the books. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my job. It has it's days where I don't like so much, but that's true with ANY job!

I remember when I was in high school I would watch people. My mom and I would go somewhere and I'd sit there and make up a WHOLE story about their life in the witness protection program. Or about the guy sitting alone drinking coffee and I'd tell my mom about his poor sick wife. Sometimes my mom wouldn't start of knowing that I was making it all up on the spot and would look at me and say, "REALLY?" Then I'd have to smile at her and say, "It could be." She was sure that I'd turn out to be a novelist. That didn't happen either. With my over active imagination I was encouraged to take drama the second semester of my senior year. I had a blast! I was even on the comeptition drama team. My partner and I had a dramatic duet, it was a lot of fun. We threw it together before the last regional contest and managed to place and went on to district, but didn't do quite so well there. But my teacher, Mr E. let me go with them to the State Competition anyway. That was a blast! And I decided that I wanted to be an actess and then direct... then reality set in. I checked out a book from the local library that summer and learned just how much it would cost to live in New York or California waiting on that "BIG BREAK" and I decided, maybe that wasn't what I wanted to do, besides, leaving my family and friends to travel to a state I'd never been didn't really appeal to me.

So, here I find myself, sitting at a desk, in an office doing the books. Far from teaching, writing, and acting. Well, I guess you could say that I'm getting to write now, after all, that's what a blog is isn't it? Writing.

I know that God has a plan for me, sometimes I wish he'd share that plan with me so I'd know what to expect.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: