Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The woes of a Kindergartener

Kindergartener... that word doesn't look right.

Anyway, not the point of this particular blog. I picked my daughter up from her third day of school and when asked how her day was she looks at me and says, "It's boring!" I never thought I'd hear my 5 year old say school was boring... 15 yeah maybe, but 5?!?!?

I pressed her a little to explain what she meant by it being so boring. "Mom, all we do is color and play outside!" she exclaimed. Oh, the poor thing. I wish all I had to do for a couple of hours was color, play, have a snack, and play some more. She doesn't seem to complain about being so bored when she spends the hour and half at a friend's house playing. So my husband and I are looking at getting her an online degree. Think the Univeristy of Phoenix will take her? She could work on college classes after her boring day of school! She wants to be a teacher when she grows up, she could work on her master's degree afterschool in first grade!

All I ever really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum has this to say:

"...Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't take things that aren't yours. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some...When you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together..."

How true these words are, and if my daughter learns all these things during the course of the next nine months I'll be one happy mommy!

No comments: